Friday, April 13, 2007

Module 4 Organising Search Info Task

For this task, the three sources that I chose from the previous Boolean search task were:

Phil Bradley: Internet Tools for the Advanced Searcher:



Advanced Internet Users Tutorial - CIESE:



Users and Internet Skills:



For this task I downloaded 2 Pane Bookmarks. I felt it provided a good organizational structure for my bookmarks when using Firefox. I then saved the three sources from the Boolean task in a sub-folder titled 'Module 4' within a main folder titled 'NET11' which had already been setup previously.

I have also downloaded Zotero which has proved to be a great tool for capturing details from webpages, which can be then be stored on my computer to be utilized at leisure. Zotero is able to save url's, take snapshots of pages, short abstracts to describe the website and much more. I logged and saved all the information from the three sources for this task. As per the attached screenshots above and below, this information has been stored on my pc and can be accessed at any time. I find Zotero very easy to use and the saved information is easily accessible both on and offline.



This week I have spent much of my time installing and uninstalling add-ons, plug-ins and extensions, mainly pertaining to bookmark organisation and browsing enhancements, in the hope of finding one that suited what I was looking for. This module has resulted in my re-assessment of how I have been managing the information that I use from the internet and how I can better utilize software tools for better organization. The NET11 Webct discussion board also proved helpful re particular add-ons that other students had found helpful.



Web Resources:


Bradley, Phil. "Internet Tools for the Advanced Searcher.." Last updated January 20, 2005.http://www.philb.com/adint.htm (accessed April 13, 2007).

CIESE, "Advanced Internet User Tutorial." 2000.http://www.k12science.org/tutorials/advanced/index.html (accessed April 13, 2007).

Igun, Stella E. "Users and Internet Skills:." Winter, 2005.http://southernlibrarianship.icaap.org/content/v06n03/igun_s01.htm (accessed April 13, 2007).

No comments: