Thursday, March 29, 2007

Module 3 Standards Task 2

For this task, I used my website that I loaded upto the NET11 Student Presentations area. I validated my pages by visiting the W3C Markup Validation Services site: http://validator.w3.org/. I have also ustilised this service for the website that I have been building as part of the NED11 Internet Design unit, so was familiar with how it operated. This site allows you to validate your site code as you have declared it on your site pages by either uploading the file from your local machine or, alternatively, by entering the URL address of the site page that you wish to validate. In my case, I wrote my code using XHTML 1.0 Strict and it validated fine without any errors.

However, the service also offers a CSS validation service which I also used and it seems my CSS style sheet, that I use to style the content of my website, did not initially validate. The version being CSS 2.1. This was mainly due to the way I had labeled elements in my xhtml pages and then implemented the styling using some of the wrong style names. I had four errors in total. Having fixed these up, I re validated my CSS page and no errors were apparent yet am a little confused as it does'nt actually state that it is validated either.

If I had not corrected the the errors, it could have had a negative impact on how the information on my site was displayed to visitors.

Overall, I really enjoy using this service. I regularly utilise it to validate my pages while I progress with the building of a site. I find it is an excellent guideline for ensuring that my site is compliant with W3C standards and it gives me an indication of how accessible and usable my site will be for others.


Web Resources:

W3C, "W3C CSS Validation Service." http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/ (accessed 29 March, 2007).

W3C, "W3C Markup Validation Service." http://validator.w3.org/ (accessed 29 March, 2007).

No comments: